Namespace for your custom function

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Would it be possible to rename the custom functions to this form:

[Verb]-SPO[Nount]

F.g. Add-DocumentLibrary would be Add-SPODocumentLibrary

SPO means simply SharePoint Online.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Well, the first thing is that this API is for both SPO and SP on-premise, so the prefix SPO would be a bit misleading; SPPS would be a better option then.
On the other hand I don't see the point of adding a prefix to the function names. Maybe because users wan't to combine this script with other SharePoint scripts, but I want to cope with all SharePoint functionality in SPPS, so hopefully there won't be any need for other SP scripts.

Please let me know your view on this.
Feb 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I understand your purpose in serving both types of SharePoint deployments with these scripts.

But don't you think people will use the built-in cmdlets for SharePoint on-premise due to performance and functionality reasons?

And isn't it possible that Microsoft will develop more SPO cmdlets?

However by name spacing the functions name I thought more about something like this: https://github.com/janikvonrotz/PowerShell-PowerUp/tree/master/functions/SharePoint%20Online

I've imported your functions in my PowerShell framework and renamed them all (of course with a PowerShell script ;) )
Also did some minor changes on the dll loader and script metadata.

Do you feel all right with this? I don't want to conquer your project.
I really like your work but the semantic of your code doesn't work with my environment.

Let me know I case you don't feel all right about this.

janik
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2014 at 7:03 AM
janikvonortz wrote:
I understand your purpose in serving both types of SharePoint deployments with these scripts.

But don't you think people will use the built-in cmdlets for SharePoint on-premise due to performance and functionality reasons?
With the nowadays trend in having private clouds, also within organisations, like the project I'm working on at the moment, I think people will need to fall back on methods like these. And talking about functionality CSOM and the built-in cmdlets are not that different.
And isn't it possible that Microsoft will develop more SPO cmdlets?
Yes! I'm even surprised that they didn't come with a library already. And on that, my first remark is that I wonder if MS would in fact come with a full library for PowerShell, and the second remark is that I'm not waiting for that!
However by name spacing the functions name I thought more about something like this: https://github.com/janikvonrotz/PowerShell-PowerUp/tree/master/functions/SharePoint%20Online

I've imported your functions in my PowerShell framework and renamed them all (of course with a PowerShell script ;) )
Also did some minor changes on the dll loader and script metadata.

Do you feel all right with this? I don't want to conquer your project.
I really like your work but the semantic of your code doesn't work with my environment.

Let me know I case you don't feel all right about this.

janik
I would recommend everybody to use my code for practical usages. But be careful with redistributing it as an own framework. Not because someone else is taking the credits for the creator, but more that the project may get out of sync at a certain moment, since the project is in an early stage and I'm tweaking the structure and trying to update the project regularly. It would be a waste if you are also fixing or modifying the code while I'm doing the same, especially when it will result in two different projects at some point. With the footnote that there won't be any conflicts of interests in the future, I'm perfectly fine with you integrating my project. And just let's see how it turns out
Feb 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM
I'm going to use this project as main repository.

If I have some changes or contributions I'll upload them as a patch to your codeplex project.

In case you're interested in the modifications I don't contribute to your project you'll find them in my migration script: https://gist.github.com/9184441
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Allright, that's also one cool script! Be aware that I can't promise that the structure and coding conventions you expect are always going to comply, but I guess you are already assuming this. Keep me updated on any updates on your side!